MFA Digital + Media, Rhode Island School of Design
BS Architecture, New Jersey Institute of Technology
2017 Liminal Conjunction, University Art Gallery, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
2015 Sophia Sobers: Garden Rooms, AS220 Reading Room, Providence, RI
2014 Sophia Sobers: To What Once Was, Find & Form Space, Boston, MA
- Artists Who Teach, Westmoreland Museum of American Art, Greensburgh, PA
- Queen of Angels: When A Church Dies V2.0, Art & Artifacts of Newark, Newark, NJ
- In Mountains, Atwood Window Space, Pittsburgh, PA
- 25th Drawing Show: The Gig Economy, curated by Robert Moeller, Boston Center for the Arts, Boston, MA
- Et Tu, Art Brute?, curated by Jamie Sterns, AEG Underground, Andrew Edlin Gallery, NY, NY
- New Year, New Beginning, Providence Center for Photographic Arts, Providence, RI
- 15 Minutes Art, Kelly Strayhorn Theater & Alphabet City, 5900 Penn Ave, Pittsburgh, PA
- Small Works, Trestle Gallery, Brooklyn, NY
- Grounded, Boston Cyberarts Gallery, Jamaica Plain, MA
- MBTI, The Drawing Room, Providence, RI
- Loone and Paper Bee, Capitol Records, Providence, RI
- TAB, Trestle Gallery, Brooklyn, NY
- INDEX Art Benefit, Newark, NJ
- old Tech new Tech, Haber Space at CENTRAL BOOKING, New York, NY
- Tangible Thinking, The Vets Gallery, Providence, RI
- Surroundings, Index Art Center, Newark, NJ
- Islands on the Edge, Atlantic Wharf Gallery, Boston, MA, Curated by Liz Devlin, FLUX Boston
- The New Unconscious, SciArt Center, NY, NY
- Burning Down The House, Jamestown Art Center, Jamestown, RI
- TODO BAJO CONTROL | Vernal Equinox, Providence, RI
- Seeking Space, Arts in Bushwick, Bushwick, NY
- BYOB (Bring Your Own Beamer), GRIN, Providence, RI
- RISD Faculty Biennial, RISD Museum, Providence, RI
- Teem, GRIN, Providence, RI
- COLLISION 21: More Human, Boston Cyberarts Gallery, Jamaica Plain, MA
- Tttrip, GRIN, Providence, RI – 3 Person Show
- Collectors III: Discerning Eyes, New Bedford Art Museum, New Bedford, MA
- Winter, Nave Gallery Annex, Somerville, MA
- Momenta Art Benefit, Momenta Art, Brooklyn, NY
- STEAMshow, Science Center, Brown University, Providence, RI
- Swell, GRIN, Providence, RI
- Todos Bajo Control, Villa Victoria Center for the Arts, Boston, MA
- Wonder Cabinet of the Big Electric Cat, The Wrong: New Digital Art Biennial
- (e)merge Art Fair, Capitol Skyline Hotel, Washington, DC
- Complexity, Gelman Gallery, Providence, RI
- Carrefour: Intersections of Biomedical Research and Art, Sol Koffler, Providence, RI
- RISD Graduate Thesis Exhibition, RI Convention Center, Providence, RI
- MARVEL, RAW Artists Brooklyn, Public Assembly, Brooklyn, NY
- Picnic, Nave Gallery Annex, Somerville, MA
- Pixilerations v.9, Sol Koffler Gallery, Providence, RI
- Installation, Newark Open Doors, Index Art Gallery, Newark, NJ
- Older than Bambi: Digital + Media Biennial, Sol Koffler Gallery, Providence, RI
- Interrupt II, Brown University, Providence, RI
- Seed Bomb, INDEX Art Center, Newark, NJ
- Love/Hate, Fall 2011 Exhibit, #FFFFFF Space, www.ffffffspace.net
- A Din of Murmurs: Nick Kline & the GlassBook Project, Paul Robeson Galleries, Newark, NJ
- Fine Arts Senior Thesis Exhibit, Paul Robeson Galleries, Newark, NJ
- Art + Design Student Exhibit, CoAD Gallery, NJIT, Newark, NJ
- Glassbook Project: NEWARK, Newark Public Library, Newark, NJ
- Metro 27, City Without Walls, Newark, NJ
- Expo 33, Newark Arts Council, Newark, NJ
- SIGGRAPH 2010 International Conference, Poster Exhibit, Los Angeles, CA
- Design Showcase, CoAD Gallery, NJIT, Newark, NJ.
- 2018 POST-EART, Index Art Center, Newark, NJ
- 2013 Investigating the Lab, RISD Nature Lab, Providence, RI
Honors, Commissions, & Awards
- 2018 PLAYTIME Trend Space Art Commission
- 2016 Cherry Blossoms in Winter, Temporary Public Art Commission
- 2015 Earth Day Commission, Purpose
- 2014 Puffin Foundation Grant
- 2014 I-195 Redevelopment Commission
- 2013 RISD Digital + Media Thesis Award
- 2013 RISD Academic Commons Program Grant for “Investigating the Lab”, a research project
- 2013 Albert K. Murray Fine Arts Educational Fund Recipient
- 2011 RISD Digital + Media Department Fellowship & Assistantship
- 2010 NJIT Art + Design Directors Scholarship
- 2006 Honorable Mention, “An Artistic Discovery,” 2006 Annual Congressional Arts Competition, NJ
Lectures, Presentations, & Panel Discussions
- Artist Talk – University Art Galleries, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
- Visiting Artist – Prep. and Practice in the Visual Arts, Studio Arts, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
- Artist Talk – Cherry Blossoms Welcome Center, Newark, NJ
- Artist Talk – Studio Arts Department, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
- Artist Talk – “Garden Rooms”, Tangible Thinking Salon, Chase Center Auditorium, Rhode Island School of Design
- Visiting Critic – Experiments in Bookmaking, Rutgers University – Newark, Newark, NJ
- Panelist. – “COLLISION 21: More Human. Hosted by Art Technology New England, Boston Cyberarts Gallery, Jamaica Plain, MA
- Artist Talk – “Nature Systems, Speculative Realities.” Living Media Class, Digital + Media, Rhode Island School of Design, Providence, RI
- Panelist – “Building a Design Science Community.” Design Science Symposium, Rhode Island School of Design, Providence, RI
- Artist Talk – “Nature, Technology, and Medicine.” AS220 Media Arts Lecture Series, Providence, RI
- Artist Talk – “On Architecture and Art.” Architecture Department, Howard University, Washington, DC
- Panelist – “Digitize This.” Digital Humanities and The Arts Symposium, Worchester Polytechnic Institute, Worcester, MA
- 2017 Three, Vol. 9
- 2014 Catalogue: “More Human”, Collision Collective.
- 2014 The Round, Vol. 4
- 2013 Catalogue: “Carrefour: Intersections of Biomedical Research and Art,” Sol Koffler Gallery, Providence, RI.
- 2012 Three, Vol. 4.
- 2012 “I am so sorry…”, Newark Review 3.0, 2012.
- 2011 “Landscape of My Womanhood 23.X,” Three, Vol. 3.
- 2010 “Transformative Elements,” formZ Joint Study Journal.
- 2010 “Angry Words of Women,” Three, Vol. 2.
- 2010 “Reactive Architecture,” SIGGRAPH 2010 International Conference.
- 2010 “Best of College Photography 2010,” Photographers Forum.
- 2009 Three, Vol. 1.
- Member of the Month, Interview by Kate Schwarting, SciArt Center, Oct 2017
- E-Squared Magazine, Issue 2 Hibernus, 2017
- A View From the Easel. Hyperallergic. By Philip A Hartigan. January 25, 2016.
- Meet the Artist: Captivating Installation Sculptor Sophia Sobers Opens Up. By Kristie Garrell. The Culture Trip: New York. Oct 25, 2015.
- New Naturalists. RISDXYZ. By Fracie Comiskey. Spring/Summer 2014.
- Falk, Audrey. PVD Gets Artsier: Creative Re-Use of the I-195 Land. East Side Monthly. September 2014.
- Eil, Philip. Look at That! The Splendor of Providence’s New Public Art. Providence Phoenix. July 25, 2014.
- REVIEW: The Wrong Biennial Claims a Stake for Net Art. By Joseph Henry. Blouin Artinfo. Nov. 6, 2013.
- Review | Sophia Sobers: perceptual limits, invading environs. I Stack Rocks. April 12, 2013.
- Sophia Sobers. Pokate. January 12, 2013.
- Pixilerations Plays with our Wired World. RISD. October 19, 2012.
- Featured Work from the Gallery: Week 45. The Creator’s Project. May 31, 2012.
- Sensing Responding by Sophia Sobers. Inspi3rd. November 8, 2011.
- Featured Work from the Gallery: Week 5. The Creator’s Project. July 21, 2011.